Wednesday, October 25, 2017

September 2017 Book Club Project

I absolutely adored this month's book, A Marriage of Opposites. It gave me all the feels because it was such a wonderful love story.

Set on the island of St. Thomas, the book details the extraordinary life of the mother to the artist Camille Pissaro who became the father of Impressionism.

The book was full of vivid colors and detailed island life beautifully. Life on the island was tough, and the main character faced a lot of adversity but was still able to love hard and follow her life's dream to go to Paris.

I was inspired to try a new technique with my project. I wanted it to reflect the fiercity of her character and also that of her childhood friend, but also represent the beauty of the island.  So, I whipped out my husband's flush cutters and my Sizzix machine and got to work with some vintage tins.



Part of the fun I had was heading to one of my friend's antique shops to look for tins. I found this beauty but didn't have the heart to cut it up once I got home. So, now I have a new treasure and it only cost me $4!

 
So this is what I came up with. I have been intrigued with Lorelei Eurto's tin snips, and as this is my first attempt, I am pleased with the outcome, but know that I have a lot of work to do to perfect this outcome.

 
The necklace has quite a few sharp edges (like the main character) but quite a bit of character. I love how it's a mishmash of patterns and sizes, and I am really happy with how it turned out. I will definitely wear it with a turtleneck so I don't slice my neck open when I wear it, and I may swap out some of the jump rings for smaller ones just for some more variety.
 
 
It's a work in progress!
Check us out next month when we read A Handmaid's Tale. Even better, play along with us! Our book club is a whole lot of fun.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment